I don’t know about you, but I’ve been a loyal Lostie since the show started. While I’m sure I’m not going to love the finale (so many unanswered questions!) I’m sure I’m going to have a blast watching it – because I’m planning my very own Lost finale party! When it comes to parties, there’s only one thing I care about, and that’s the food. So here’s my lowdown on the best menus for a Lost finale party, culled from the interwebs, and in places, my own imagination. I’ve got three ‘menus’ to choose from, although in reality they are just three lists – food inspired by the show, food from the show itself, and an extra special, cos I love ya low-fat/low calorie diet menu. Plus, as an extra special bonus, a list of drink ideas!
Menu from the show universe
- Peanut butter (Charlie’s present to Claire – bonus points if it’s in a Dharma-labelled jar!)
- Fish biscuits (from the Polar bear cages – as eaten by Sawyer and Kate) – recipe here.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches (brought to Jack by Juliet when he was being held captive by Ben)
- Muffins (cooked by Juliet for her book club)
- Mr Cluck’s Chicken (fried chicken from Hurley’s fast food chain – use generic fast food fried chicken!)
- Foraged fruits: mango, banana, passionfruit, guava, papaya, coconut, oranges (for Locke-smiles…). Serve them whole on a chopping board with a hunter’s knife for added drama and authenticity. Or, make them into a fruit salad like Hurley.
- Hunted meat like boar (cop out and use pork! Roasted pork tenderloin, pork ribs, pulled pork… Mmm!), rabbit and chicken
- Grilled fish, or sashimi ala Jin
- Dharma-labelled food, easily created by printing out labels and sticking them on pre-existing packages. Some of the most famous Dharma food includes the aforementioned peanut butter, ranch composite (ranch dressing), Dharmalars (probably a version of Mallomars), and mac and cheese. Click here for an amazing array of Lost labels for your food!
- Apollo bars (dark chocolate and nuts)
- Alcohol salvaged from the plane in mini-bottles, or provided by Dharma, including beer, whiskey, rum, red and white wine.
Menu inspired by the show
- Peanut butter cookies / peanut butter pie / homemade peanut butter cups / Nigella Lawson’s peanut butter fudge sundae – highly recommended!
- Grilled tuna and mango salad
- Hawaiian pizza (pizza topped with pineapple and ham)
- Island fruits combined with cream and topped with caramel sauce, or sweetened with honey and spiked with lime juice and zest. Or, try grilling, baking or BBQing the fruit with a little honey
- Pineapple salsa
- Korean-style salad from Sun’s garden (try here, here or here for a dressing)
- Rice cooked with coconut milk
- Grilled Hawaiian fish with papaya dressing
- Hawaiian pork casserole
- Emeril’s grilled marinated fish with tropical salsa and coconut rice
- Dried fruit mix – coconut shavings, dried pineapple, banana chips, etc
- Gammon steaks topped with a pineapple ring
- Or, a ‘desert-island food’ idea, where every guest brings the one food they would want if they were stranded on a desert island. Or, if you like puns and you’re not afraid of the calories, a dessert island party!
Low-calorie Lost menu
- Grilled coconut shrimp with pineapple salsa
- Tropical fruit salad
- Sun’s garden vegetables with Dharma Ranch dip (crudities and low-fat dip)
- Grilled fish with tropical relish
- Low-fat peanut butter cookies
- Tropical fruit juice
- MacCutcheon whiskey (stick a fake label over a bottle of whiskey to create ultra-rare Lost whiskey!)
- Wine from Moriah Vineyards, as made by Desmond the monk (as above)
- Zombie (2 parts white rum, 1 part dark rum, 1 part golden rum, 2 parts lime juice, 1 part orange juice, 1 part pineapple juice, half part sugar syrup, ice, shaken in a mixer)
- Pina Colada (1 part white rum, 2 parts coconut cream, 2 parts pineapple juice, shaken and strained)
- Banana Daiquiri (2 parts white rum, 2 parts lime juice, dash triple sec, 1tsp sugar, crushed ice, 1 ripe banana, blended until smooth)
- Mai Tai (1 part light rum, 1 part dark rum, 1 part Cointreau, dash Grenadine, tsp lime juice, 3 parts orange juice, 3 parts pineapple juice, shaken over ice and strained)
- Blue Devil (3 parts gin, 1 part lemon juice, 1 tbsp maraschino, shaken over ice)
- Blue Lagoon (3 parts vodka, 1 part blue Curacao, 3 parts pineapple juice, shaken over ice and strained)
- Non-alcoholic fruit cup (2 parts orange juice, 2 parts grapefruit juice, 2 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts apple juice)
You can find some Lost-themed menus, ideas and resources at these sites:
- Lost Party Theme
- iVillage Lost-inspired party menu
- TV Dinners: Lost Menu and Party Plan
- Lost Season 6 Party Menu
- Lostpedia’s complete list of food that has appeared in Lost
- Max Pictures’ Dharma Labels
Have fun! And, be sure to tell me what YOUR Lost party menu consisted of…
DISCLAIMER: I didn’t create any of the content linked to here, nor can I vouch for the reliability or deliciousness of any of the recipes, save Nigella’s awesome peanut butter fudge sauce… Click and make at your own risk!