One recipe I turn to quite often for leftover chicken or turkey is Nigella Lawson’s recipe for bang bang turkey salad. You can find it online here.
It’s delicious and spicy, and refreshing thanks to the spring onions and cucumber. You can serve it as part of a large party spread, using up other left overs like pie or quiche, and people will think you’ve gone to a lot of effort to create a brand new dish, when, really, you’re just sneakily feeding them your left overs. HO HO HO!
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp chilli bean sauce (buy in Asian groceries)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp black Chinese vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 250g shredded chicken or turkey
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- 20g chopped coriander
- 20g chopped mint
- Half cucumber
- 6 spring onions
- Make the sauce by heating the groundnut oil, allowing to cool slightly, then adding the sesame oil, peanut butter, chilli bean sauce, caster sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and water.
- Mix the sauce with the shredded chicken meat and lay it over a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce,which has been covered with the mint and coriander.
- Finely slice the spring onions, and cut the cucumber into batons. Arrange on the platter.
Delicious, spicy, and satisfying!
One thought on “What to do with leftover chicken and turkey: bang bang chicken”