If you feel like you need an unusual recipe for leftover turkey this Thanksgiving or Christmas, look no further! This recipe is from the excellent Sichuan Cookery by Fuchsia Dunlop, which has about four or five easy and tasty recipes for cooked chicken at the front. This hot and numbing chicken mixes spicy chilli oil and toasted, ground sichuan pepper together with soy sauce and sugar to create a really delicious cold dish.
- 300g left over cold cooked turkey or chicken, white or dark meat
- Bunch spring onions
- 4 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2-4 tbsp chilli oil (depending on how spicy you like it – best to start small and add more later!)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- Cucumber, to serve
- Dry roast the peppercorns in a frying pan, then grind them to produce 1/2 tsp of ground spice.
- Cut the chicken in slices, and cut the cucumber and spring onions into elegant diagonals.
- Create the dressing by dissolving the sugar in the soy sauce, then adding in the chilli and sesame seed oil.
- Arrange the chicken and spring onions on a plate, then sprinkle over the Sichuan pepper.
- Drizzle over the sauce, and tuck in!
Serve with salad, or white rice.